Improve the livelihoods and enhance the resilience to shocks and disasters of livestock-dependent households in Somalia, specifically by enhancing market access of Somali livestock and livestock products.
Our Key partners:
Federal Ministry of Livestock Forestry and Range, Federal Chamber of Commerce,
Somaliland Ministry of Livestock and Fishery Development, Somaliland Chamber of Commerce,
Puntland Ministry of Livestock and Animal Husbandry and Puntland Chamber of Commerce.
- Upscaled livestock marketing information systems.
- Raised value chain actors’ awareness of quality standards and developed beneficiaries’ capacity to meet them.
- Promoted Somali livestock and livestock products in local, regional and international markets.
- Piloted grading and branding of Somali livestock commodities for local, regional and international markets.
- Constructed or rehabilitated marketing and animal handling infrastructure.
- Promoted value-addition in Somali livestock commodities.
- Developed capacity for compliance with sanitary and phytosanitary measures, welfare, food safety and quality standards.
- Strengthened the veterinary service’s regulatory capacity to supervise and regulate quarantine operations.
- Coordinated the functions of Somali livestock value chain actors.
- Facilitated coordination mechanisms for Somali institutions and counterparts with importing countries.
- Developed strategies for improved marketing of Somali livestock and livestock products.
- Contributed to international business opportunities across the Near East for the sale of organic honey, animal bones, large fresh and frozen meat shipments and USD 4 million’s worth of frozen goat carcasses.
- Fostered increased trust and competitiveness in Somali livestock and livestock products.
- Contributed to the improved quality of livestock products and the expected increase in returns from the livestock trade.
- Supported the coordination of the functions of Somali livestock value chain actors, strengthening the capacity of livestock organizations and key sectoral stakeholders.